Too Many Magnesiums?~ FYI
Updated: Oct 17, 2019
Hey there. I get this question a lot: Which form of magnesium should I buy and how much should I take? Per the normal boring response: It varies. The variables are:
- What your health issue/concern/goal is.
- Who you are, as far as blood type, weight, genetics, sensitivities, etc.
So, with that, let's look at the basics of magnesium supplements. If I get feedback & questions on this post, I can do a part 2 that addresses more specifics:
TOP SIGNS OF DEFICIENCY
Muscle cramps (i.e. charlie horses)
Sleep issues (i.e. insomnia)
Tense, tight, sore muscles
Weak bones, thinning bones (i.e. osteopenia or osteoporosis)
TOP BENEFITS OF MAGNESIUM
Relaxes muscles, relaxes blood vessels, lowers blood pressure, helps build strong bones (working with calcium), improves sugar balance, promotes calming and sleep, stabilizes anxiety, encourages digestion.
TOP FOOD SOURCES
Yogurt or kefir
*Chloride- Encourages sleep, digestion, bone health and a sense of calm. Supplementing with this form in higher doses may cause diarrhea.
*Sulfate- Think Epsom Salts, therapeutic in baths. Also known for its laxative effect.
*Citrate- Alleviates constipation and acid indigestion.
*Oxide- This form is found in some cleansing supplements, as well as Milk of Magnesia. So, you guessed it... It moves things along & out quite aggressively (improves digestion)!
*Glycinate- Supports muscle relaxation.
*Chelate- Helps in the development and maintenance of healthy bones and teeth.
*Malate- A more gentle form of magnesium. Often recommended for people suffering from fatigue and/or fibromyalgia.
*L-threonate- Supports cognitive function and improves memory. I really like (and take) Life Extension Neuro-Mag™ Magnesium L-Threonate. Find at:
- Try a combination Magnesium supplement (a complex), if you think more than one form fits your needs. Example: Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium, find here:
- Start with 250 mg per day. Take in the evening. Some people work their way up to 500 to 1,000 mg per day.
- You may be taking too much if your digestive system becomes over active.