Healthy Coping Practices During Difficult Seasons
Are you experiencing an overwhelming, stuck, heavy, or sad sense in life?
You are not alone! The climate of our societies right now has created a fear factor that none of us can seem to escape, except through faith and hope that this too shall pass. Hope is a life force of its own. Without it, we wither away. Activate HOPE in your heart, let it breathe refreshment into you! Read on to find some inspiration...
“Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.”
These are the top 10 ranked most difficult/challenging life events:
Death of a loved one
Abuse of any kind
Financial burdens, bankruptcy
Betrayal of a loved one
Loss of a job or job displacement
Health issues including chronic pain
Home loss (i.e. from a fire, foreclosure, or other)
Family dysfunction issues
(Taken from Psychology Today Journal)
How to cope?
Note: These suggestions are not appropriate for mental health conditions, such as severe/clinical depression. This information is for educational, inspiring purposes only! Please consult with a medical care provider.
Try one or more of these uplifting, healthy, supportive lifestyles:
Take a supportive mood supplement such as Omega 3’s, 5HTP, or St. John’s Wort.
- Oregon's Wild Harvest St. John's Wort Supplement https://amzn.to/33EcXpT
Get sunshine or take Vitamin D3 for serotonin (happy hormone support) especially in the wintertime. Garden of Life has a Vitamin D3 spray (it’s yummy)! https://amzn.to/3d6Zknr
Book a Therapeutic Massage.
Use essential oils that promote balanced, grounding, and calm. Try:
- Cedarwood, tangerine, ylang ylang, lavender, clary sage, & roman chamomile.
- Woolzies 100% Pure Good Night Deep Sleep Well Essential Oil Set | Helps Sleep better Faster & Restful| Sweet Dreams Oils for Insomnia |Natural Sleep Aid |Helps Stress, Undiluted Therapeutic Grade https://amzn.to/3a3bLyt
- Peace & Calming Essential Oil, Young Living https://amzn.to/3dbkYH2
Be in nature & fresh air. Oxygen encourages endorphin release that supports emotions. Take a daily walk. Start with 10 min. a day- that is doable for almost anyone! Grounding is also a therapeutic practice. It is basically walking barefoot in nature (just watch where you step)! You can also use thin souled walkers, such as Fit Kicks: https://amzn.to/3b6dCTf
Journal your thoughts, set goals, reflect as you progress and heal. You can also map out your goals by using a bulletin board or creating a vision board! The written word can be a powerful tool. I am uncontrollable when it comes to journaling, hence my hefty supply. A few I think are excellent:
- TrainRite Compact Fitness Journal - RISE + GRIND (An Exercise Log Book) https://amzn.to/3d4OJcB
- Gracelaced By Ruth Chou Simons (this is more of a 12-month planner) https://amzn.to/2Qr19S9
- Prayer Journal for Women: 52 Week Scripture, Devotional Prayer Journal https://amzn.to/2Ub4B4o
- Purple Faux Leather Journal | Strength and Dignity Proverbs 31 Woman| Flexcover Inspirational Notebook. 240 Lined Pages, 5.5 x 7 Inch https://amzn.to/2WocRRr
- GoGirl Planner & Organizer for Women - Pocket Size Weekly Planner, Journal & Agenda to Improve Time Management, Productivity & Live Happier https://amzn.to/3978qgM
- Dream Your Heart Out: Inspirational Journal By Katy Fults https://amzn.to/3ddC9Yn
Have fresh flowers and plants around your home. Life springs more life! I've always loved the peace lily (Cala Lily), tulips, and irises. You can order some lovely arrangements if the season is not allowing you to grow your own:
- Stargazer Barn - Rainbow Confetti Bouquet - Colorful Fresh Tulips With Vase - California Grown- Farm Fresh https://amzn.to/2ITwf0O
- Stargazer Barn - Telstar Iris Bouquet with Vase https://amzn.to/3daDXSc
- Benchmark Bouquets 8 Stem Stargazer Lily Bunch, With Vase (Fresh Cut Flowers) https://amzn.to/2x3bZXY
Talk to someone you are comfortable with, be it a trusted friend or therapist. Be faithful with your visits until you feel a significant release of your burdens. Bringing things out of darkness (from the quiet caverns of the soul) can literally lighten a person from the inside out!
Pray and/or meditate on positive affirmations such as:
“I have the strength I need for the day.”
“I am stepping into a new path filled with blessings and light.”
"I was created for wonderful works and great purposes."
Tips to see positive results:
Stay consistent (try to do one or more of these weekly, if not daily)! Track your progress in a journal or a simple checklist.
Don’t give up... life is full of beauty & possibility! With God, all things are possible.
Your Personal Wellness Plan
Decide how you want to not only cope, but cultivate joy!
Infuse one or more of the above lifestyle suggestions into your daily living.