Caffeine~ Health supportive?
Updated: Sep 23, 2019
Whether your choice of weapon is coffee, chocolate, tea, energy drinks (I cringe at the thought) or another caffeine source... Is it all good and well for your health? Let's check out the pros and cons (in this post, I will mainly be focusing on cocoa & coffee):
5 HEALTH BENEFITS OF COCOA:
♥︎ Cacao is rich in polyphenols, which fight free radicals that damage body tissue. “Per ounce, real chocolate has more antioxidants than fruits, vegetables, or wine.” (Cornell University).
♥︎ Cacao is high in B1 and B2 vitamins, as well as magnesium and iron. Cacao is associated with improved vasodilation, helping increase stamina during exercise.
♥︎ Cocoa contains theobromine that acts as a stimulant. (Athens Medical School). ♥︎Cacao powder is naturally cholesterol-free. Its properties may block the oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol. Flavonoids in cocoa have shown to reduce blood pressure up to12 points! (American Heart Association).
♥︎ Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that creates an uplift in mood. Chocolate consumption is associated with increased serotonin levels.
As discussed in a previous post, coffee enjoyed in moderation is a delicious way to help prevent some cancers. Here is a snap-shot of coffee's benefits:
♡Endometrial cancer. Research indicates that women who drink coffee regularly are 25% less likely to develop endometrial cancer.
♡Prostate cancer. Both high test and decaf coffee are particularly effective at shooing away one of the most dangerous and aggressive kinds of cancer - prostate cancer.
♡The most common skin cancer. Basal cell carcinoma research shows that quality coffee acts to shut down these rebel cells (cells that have a high risk of mutation).
(Real Age, Dr. Michael Roizen).
♡ Some studies have suggested that drinking coffee may reduce the risk of getting diabetes. Having two 8-ounce cups of coffee contain about 280 milligrams (mg) of caffeine. For most healthy adults, caffeine does not seem to make blood sugar levels higher (Medical News Today). Coffee (caffeine) can also slightly stimulate metabolism, contributing to the caloric burn and energy use of sugars in the bloodstream.
* Now let's talk of cautions & possible danger of caffeine intake (say it isn't so!):
♡Risks of caffeine consumption (https://medlineplus.gov/caffeine.html):
- Restlessness and shakiness
- Rapid heart rate
- Increased acidity (My note: Can result in GERD/Acid Reflux)
* Some people are more sensitive to the effects of caffeine than others.
- Most energy drinks are dangerous because they contain extra high levels of caffeine and sugar in one serving.
- As a general rule (unless an individual has pre-existing health conditions such as cardiovascular issues or anxiety, among other health risks), caffeine in moderation has been shown to be tolerable and possibly quite healthy, per the person.
♡Organic Coffee, Chocolate, & Tea to try:
- Equal Exchange’s Organic African Roots Coffee: Find this exotic brew at: https://bit.ly/2E9rKPb Love Buzz is also one of my favorites brews, with a velvety dark taste! www.equalexchange.coop/
- Theo Chocolate: Organic & fair trade with unique flavors, from sea salt almond, crystallized ginger, to beer (Confections Collection)! https://www.theochocolate.com/
- The Republic of Tea's Hi-CAF tea: These are high octane so beware. Try flavors such as Ginger-Mint and Caramel https://www.republicoftea.com/tea-with-caffeine/c/hicaf/
Quick- what are your thoughts on caffeine??? Go, go, go! (I may have had one cup too many today)! :-)