Anti-Cancer Rules~ Part 2
Updated: Oct 16, 2019
Continuing on the journey of ways to defend ourselves from the threat of cancer in all its many forms, read on with Part 2 focusing on 'Food Rules':
FOOD RULES (Nourishment)
1. Be Balanced: Your meal should be 80% vegetables/complex carbs, 20% lean protein. Opt for the opposite of the quarter pounder topped with a classic leaf of iceberg lettuce and a sad, squishy tomato slice. Meat should be used sparingly for taste, and needed protein, as when it used to be scarce, and should not be the focus of the meal.
2. Mix & Match: Vary the vegetables you eat. Broccoli is an effective anticancer food, and is even more potent when combined with tomato sauce, onions or garlic. Get in the habit of adding these veggies to your meals. All cruciferous veggies (cauliflower, cabbage, kale, Brussel sprouts) contain cancer-fighting properties, specifically phytonutrients and the sulforaphane, a unique compound that boosts the body's protective enzymes and can help flush out cancer-causing elements. If you're not a fan of these kinds of veggies, here is your plan B: Triple Action Cruciferous Vegetable Extract/ 60 vegetarian caps, at https://bit.ly/2MNNmT3
3. Go Organic & Omit GMO’s: Choose organic foods whenever possible, but remember it's better to eat broccoli that's been exposed to pesticide (once you’ve cleaned it with salt and hot water) than to not eat broccoli at all. The same applies to any other anticancer vegetable. Genetically Modified Organisms have been taken out of their natural state and altered in their molecular structure. Therefore, this can disturb our cells and DNA. Note on eggs- Not all eggs are created equal! Choose only organic, omega-3 eggs. Hens are now fed on mostly GMO corn and soybeans. Their eggs contain 20x more pro-inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids, rather than cell-growth regulating omega-3s. Get the best eggs!
4. Go Spice: Add turmeric (with black pepper) when cooking. It’s delicious in salad dressings!. This yellow spice is the most powerful natural anti-inflammatory agent. Remember to add Mediterranean herbs to your food: thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary, marjoram, mint. They add flavor and help reduce growth of cancer cells. I am a fan of Frontier Spices & Simply Organic Spices: https://www.frontiercoop.com/home/
If you love Herbes De Provence, this is a keeper: https://bit.ly/2VLOxXm
A multi-purpose spice to have on hand, Veggie Pepper: https://bit.ly/35EOcKG
5. Skip Pesticides: Most heavily sprayed crops are- apples, peaches, strawberries, grapes, cherries, nectarines, pears, red raspberries, bell peppers, celery, spinach, lettuce, potatoes and tomatoes (Source:https://www.downtoearth.org/ ). Washing can’t get all the pesticides off. The heavy waxing of apples also traps pesticides underneath.
6. Go Fish: Eat fish two or three times a week - sardines, mackerel, and anchovies have less mercury and PCBs than bigger fish like tuna. Avoid swordfish and shark, which are large hunters, therefore contain a high concentration of contaminants. Sock eye wild Alaskan/Pacific salmon is researched to be the highest in Omega 3’s. Wild Planet's Alaska Sockeye Salmon (canned) is excellent! I often make a salmon dip with this adding Greek yogurt, Primal Mayo, and spices. We enjoy raw veggies or focaccia bread for dipping! Find it here: https://bit.ly/2MLiId3
7. Change Oil: Use only extra virgin olive oil, walnut, avocado, coconut or and flax oil in cooking and salad dressings. Go through your kitchen cabinets and throw out your refined vegetable, canola, and corn oils. No, you can't give them to your neighbors or your relatives...They're too rich in omega-6 fatty harmful acids! Try Newman's Organics Olive Oil Extra Virgin, Cold Pressed: https://bit.ly/35DY7QB
8. Go Beautiful Browns: Eat your grains whole and mixed (wheat with oats, barley, spelt, flax, quinoa) and favor organic whole grains when possible. Avoid refined, white flour (used in pastries, bagels, muffins, sandwich bread, buns, etc). Try Ezekiel brand!
9. Keep Naturally Sweet: Cut down on sugar by avoiding sweetened sodas and fruit juices, and replacing dessert with fruit (especially stone fruits and berries) after most meals. Read the labels carefully, and steer clear of products that list any type of sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup) in the first 3 ingredients. If you have an incorrigible sweet tooth, try a few squares of dark chocolate containing at least 70% cocoa. Also, try to use a natural sweetener such as Stevia or coconut nectar. Important Note- Artificial sweeteners do NOT save you. They stimulate cancer growth and hinder metabolism! Meanest culprit is Aspartame! We use a ton of raw honey in our household. Nature Nate's is one of our favorite brands: https://bit.ly/2OSQnUX
10. Go Green: Instead of coffee or black tea, drink 3 cups of green tea per day. Use decaffeinated green tea if it gets you too wired. Regular consumption of green tea has been linked to a significant reduction in the risk for developing cancer, especially in respiratory cancers (i.e. lung). Green tea also has a metabolic stimulating effect, which can assist in gradual weight loss. Try Organic Immunity SuperGreen Tea https://www.republicoftea.com/organic-immunity-supergreen-tea-bags/p/v20369/
David Servan-Schreiber, M.D., Ph.D. is the author of Anticancer, ‘A New Way of Life’
Dr. Axe, Dr. of Natural Medicine Dr.Axe.com
Jordan Rubin, N.D. Author of “Patient Heal Thyself”
Do you have a cancer journey to share, with natural interventions, heart, & hope?
Please do! Your life experiences matter!
Disclaimer: This is for your educational purposes only, and not intended to diagnose or treat any health conditions. Please contact your primary care provider for healthcare & info.